Pages

Friday, April 3, 2009

Message to Elancers

I recently placed a project up for bid on elance.com. As guy involved in sales, marketing, and programming, it's hard for me to give up control of a project. But I needed someone else's time and skill and was willing to trade some money for both.

When the bidding had run its course I selected a winning bidder and since I am involved in the same business as the Elance bidders, and I am not the typical project owner on elance.com, I thought I would send those that didn't win a note on how to do better at sales. I am sharing it here in case it has any useful nuggets on sales and bidding in the world of software and websites.

All,

Thank you for your participation. This project is now closed and I have selected a winning bidder. As you may know, I am a software developer running a family-owned shop. My focus is Web development. I do sales, marketing, and most of the development work. It is important that I do all of these things well if I want to pay my bills and take care of my family.

It is important for you as well, and I wanted to take a moment to offer some unsolicited advice for those of you that did not win the job, so that you might be able to win the next job you bid.

1. I have lots of experience in bidding on sites like elance. The typical employer is unorganized, unprepared, and unaware of the complexity and cost of software development. They are also not qualified to know whether you are a good programmer or not. I am NOT the typical employer. But for most prospects (myself included) it simply boils down to this: Which provider presents the least amount of risk to my business? As both an employer and a contractor, I believe I gave you better and more complete information than you are likely to receive from most employers. Yet

- Many of you submitted a standard "proposal" and had obviously not read any of the information I had provided.

- Some of you said you would follow up after reviewing the information and that was the last contact I saw.

- Some of you bid the maximum bid. Keep in mind that when employers select a budget, it is a range of numbers. Bidding the maximum may put you out of the running immediately.

2. Like most employers, I had a limited amount of time to review your bids. So, I was only interested in those providers that:

- contacted me early,

- had obviously read the information I provided,

- asked meaningful questions,

- offered real advice.

3. Lastly, I view sales as a means of helping people rather than making money. "Sales" for me is matching the right solution for the client. It is the Biblical principal of "doing unto others as you would have them do unto you." Clients feel vulnerable in many ways. Show them that you are trying to help and not just trying to make money. I know that bidding on a site like elance is hectic and hard to manage. It's easy to submit some boiler plate text, some examples of your work, and then move on to the next bid. My advice is the "three B's":

- Be helpful. Ask questions and offer advice.

- Be available. For client questions, advice, etc., but take care not to leave everything up to the client. Following up is important.

- Become a partner. Show that you are interested in mutual benefit and relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment