Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

The Shoe is On the Other Foot

I am a pretty good guesser and empathizer. I also have a good imagination. This helps me build Web sites and applications that are useful, thoughtful, and helpful to clients. Most of the time, anyway. It also helps me understand the client's perspective and win more jobs.

But after deciding to outsource the Objective-C portion of our iPhone application, I am now "the client". And the experience has been helpful in understanding even more of the client's perspective.

Timing and Silence

My chief complaint -- if it can be called that -- is getting the job done on time (which we have not) and hearing from the developer on progress (which was good at first but lately has been sporadic). Most of us (developers) are well aware that communication can be an issue, but this experience has really driven home to me the necessity of prompt communication.

  • Say something, anything. Never let a message go unanswered, eve if it's just to say "message received". We often feel pressured to have news or progress before responding, but this takes time. Instead, let the customer know you're still there.
  • Be up-front about delays. Let the customer know as soon as possible if there's going to be a delay.
  • Be open about the current schedule for incoming change requests.

Silence leads to frustration -- don't frustrate your clients.

As a result, I have a new goal for communication with my own clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment